The Wissahickon Sustainability Council believes that we all deserve to live in a clean, healthy, and sustainable environment.
In 2008, a group of parents, staff, students, and community members, formed the “Green Committee” as an offshoot of Cook’s active Home and School Association, seeking to undertake a greening initiative in the school. In 2009 we became a 501(c)(3) non-profit and changed our name to The Wissahickon Sustainability Council. We are driven by the following core principles:
- It is our responsibility to create a more verdant, sustainable campus.
- Good schools are integral to good communities.
- Improving the school’s environmentally-sound practices will provide rich educational opportunities for our students and for our community.
- We have a powerful natural resource in our back yard – the Wissahickon portion of Fairmount Park – and we must be mindful stewards of it.
- Healthy living leads to healthy minds.
- President- Julie McGurk
- Vice President- Susanna Kramer Simon
- Treasurer- Stefanie Tuleya
- Secretary- Emily Elliott
- Fundraising Coordinators- Melissa Jones (grants) and Cammy Joseph (other fundraising)
- Volunteer Coordinator- Elyse Blank
- Social Media Coordinator- Jaclyn Ocumpaugh